Friday, April 13, 2018

Learning Styles: Another Myth Bites the Dust

During my years in higher education, I have seen fads come and I have seen them go. The concept of learning styles, as currently theorized and measured, is no exception. This article explains the situation quite well. The sad thing is that often when we are evaluated as instructors, our assessments must include evidence that we cater to all possible learning styles, even though the evidence is flimsy at best. Don't get me wrong. I see some value in mixing it up a bit if it gets students engaged in the learning process. The main takeaway is that a perceived preference for learning new information does not equate to success in learning through that modality, and assessing our own instruction, let alone the effectiveness of our courses and degree programs as if the myth were true is a fool's errand.

No comments:

Post a Comment