Tuesday, October 5, 2021

Converting Standard Error to Standard Deviation

This is just one of my brief posts that I hope is obvious to most folks who would bother to read this blog. It's just a technique that is part of my meta-analyst's toolbox, can be calculated on the back of a napkin, and comes in handy when authors report means and standard error instead of the usual standard deviation term we would want to estimate Cohen's d. The formula is simple.

I've used it a bit more often than I would have imagined. It comes in handy. One common mistake meta-analysts can make is to erroneously use the SE term instead of SD in the denominator to compute Cohen's d, which would inflate the effect size for the hypothesis test in question. Needless to say, you want to avoid that.

Credit to Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions.

No comments:

Post a Comment